twitter



Written by Funn Lim


I missed the first 15 minutes so imagine how surprised I was to see the swindlers working for the Cheung family. How did they end up from prison to working for the family?

Anyway Pang Hang was forced to agree to a 10% reduction of his fees whilst the new reformed bandits were very happy when Cheung Kiu said they would be earning about $17000 per year. The whispery reply of $500 from last episode is still very funny to me.

Anyway Cheung Kiu is ready to retire and has expressly told all 4 wives that Bo Kei will run the business. Fung Yee as usual says "I have no comments" in the most polite way ever but you can see daggers.

Meanwhile Chai Gau is very depressed. He found out he won't be promoted to 3rd Taukeh but rather is head supervisor which he feels does not equal to his contribution. He took 6 months of his salary and helf a banquet for the men. Bo Kei knew and approached him and said "Here is $20 for you. I know you took 6 months of your salary, here take these for yourself" but Chai Gau angrily or more like in a disappointed angry voice said "I don't need your money. I don't want money! I knew what I was doing" and Bo Kei asked gently "Chai Gau, what is the matter?" and Chai Gai poured his bitterness as he cried and said "Why wasn't I promoted to a bigger position? I did all the hard work! I deserve more!" and Bo Kei gently said "Chai Gau, I know you did a lot for us but you must understand some things take time and patience" but Chai Gau cried "I know I am not supposed to call me a member of the 4th Madam gang but the truth is I am. I am loyal to you 4th Madam, I would do anything for you but I feel like being loyal to you has not proved favourable to me. It is as if in trying to dispell rumours of favouritism I am pushed aside, I will never get promoted, I will never return home as a successful man, you are bringing me down 4th Madam!" and Bo Kei was shocked at what he said and said carefully "Chai Gau, I know you're useful, and I will repay you in kind but first, here, take these $20. You need to eat too!" but Chai Gau angrily threw the money to the floor and shouted "I don't want your money!!" and he ran away.

Pause here.

Here Chai Gau is like a little boy who is lost whilst Bo Kei is like his mother!

Continue...

Someone was following Chai Gau and a few attacked him and Chai Gau in panic ran back to Cheung mansion screaming "HELP! HELP! HELP!" and Bo Kei and Cheung Kiu ran out and find a fainted Chai Gau covered in some blood. They knew who ordered that beating.

Bo kei, Cheung Kiu, Chai Gau met with Pang Hang and 2 of his men in a restaurant. Pang Hang was arrogant and denied any involvement and Chai Gau angrily said "I knew it was you! Don't deny it!" and Pang Hang said "Well I said it wasn't me but I can't guarantee it wasn't any of my men! What you little bastard did was to cut off my men's income and so if they're angry I can't stop them. I can stop one here but I can't stop the other!" and Bo Kei stood up and said "Brother in law, we know we have put you in a difficult position and so please accept our sincerest apology. It has nothing to do with Chai Gau, so just drink this cup of tea and we all forget the past shall we?" but Pang Hang refused and Bo Kei angered said "Fine" and then issued the same warning she has been using for like many episodes now that is "Tomorrow our business will close. But let me guarantee you that I will use the entire fortune to make life miserable for you. If Chai Gau is hurt in any way, I will take the fortune and sue you; if I am not successful here, I will sue all the way to the capital and make sure you get your just returns" and Cheung Kiu stood up and said "Whatever Bo Kei says is what I am saying too!" and Pang Hang looked worried and said angrily "Fine!" and he drank the tea and said "You have my word; I won't go after this lucky bastard anymore!". And so Chai Gau was saved.

Pause here.

If Chai Gau felt any bitterness before, surely now he knew Bo kei was always on his side. She is willing to throw away the fortune to protect him. How can Chai Gau not be undyingly faithful and loyal to a righteous Bo kei? I understand Chai Gau's bitterness but Bo kei had her reasons for not promoting him too fast. And I think she is right.

So life settled down.

The swindlers or ex swindlers both showed Cheung Kiu how a bird can choose a card and read their fate and Cheung Kiu was very amused by their antics. Bit Ching wasn't and said "Father don't believe them!" and he was challenged to pick on card and the bird did and he read out that he and the girl swindler were destined to be together and he must not kick her out! Bit Ching said "There must be some trickery some where! There must be!" and Cheung Kiu laughed and said "Of course there is! Think about it then Cheung Bit Chun (as in Stupid, his new nickname as in a few episodes before!). Quite a funny scene.

Cheung Kiu, Bo Kei and Pang Kiu said goodbye to a westerner priest whom I believe saved Cheung Kiu's life in the 15 minutes I missed. The priest told him to take things easy and so the priest left.

Pang Kiu was walking and asked Cheung Kiu "Husband, how did the bird knew which card to choose? How?" and Cheung Kiu said "Even if I explain you're too stupid to understand!"

Pause here. He wasn't malicious, he was like teasing her.

Pang Kiu said "Husband, explain! Explain!" and Bo kei said "Husband, frankly I too don't even know how the bird choose".

So Cheung Kiu good naturedly started to explain about the bird, the cards, the trickery when suddenly he stopped talking, grabbed his chest and just fell down.

Just like that!!

Bo Kei panicked, Pang Kiu even more. Bo Kei said to Pang Kiu "Quick, go to the peer and get the Father, now!" and Pang Kiu ran as fast as she could but the ship was sailing away as she screamed "Father! Father!" whilst Bo Kei sought a doctor who said "I am sorry, he is dead" but Bo Kei refused to believe, hugged Cheung Kiu and said "I have seen dead people and they're not warm. My husband is. He is not dead, not yet!" and another doctor came and said the same thing and Bo Kei hugged Cheung Kiu tightly and refused to believe any of them until the priest came back with Pang Kiu and the priest administered CPR (eh, chinese doctor didn't know how?".

Next scene.

Pause first. I am still shocked at his sudden demise or well, as you shall read below, a fate far worse than death. Still shocked!

Back at home, in the room. Priest examined Cheung Kiu and said "He is alive but barely. The stroke has left him in a deep coma. I don't know when he will or if he will ever wake up" and Fung Yee cried and Bo Kei said "Please Father, I will pay any sum, please save him" but the Priest said "I will be going to --- (couldn't catch the name of the place) and when I come back I will pay Master Cheung a visit again and see what I can do" and so he left.

Pang Kiu was in Cheung Kiu's room and snipped off some of his hair. Bo Kei saw what she did and ran after her and we see Pang Kiu packing her entire jewelery and Bo Kei stopped her and asked "What are you doing?" and Pang Kiu said "4th sister, ask no more. I have to do this" and Bo Kei asked "What is it you're doing?" and Pang Kiu cried and said "The taoist master told me husband's life is in danger" and I think she said these though I didn't quite catch it in full, "I will need to buy an empty burial plot and it is as if Husband's life ends today and will begin anew tomorrow. Only this way I could extend his life!" and Bo Kei cried and said "2nd sister, don't believe in such nonsense. Husband will be fine" but Pang Kiu cried "I must try! Husband mustn't die, he musn't leave me!" and Bo Kei hugged Pang Kiu and they cried in unison.

Guess what Fung Yee did?

Well she cried and then told Bit Man that "We need to speak with our sisters. First to demand Bo kei to return the keys (whoever holds the keys is the head of the household) to you" but Bit Man said "But mother, everyone heard father said 4th mother will run the household" and Fung Yee said "I didn't, and I am sure Lau Fong will say the same thing".

And so they approached Pang Kiu and told her to deny Cheung Kiu ever said what he said but Pang Kiu said "But 1st sister, Husband did say what he said. Can't we stop with the fighting first whilst Husband is in danger? Can't we just get along?" and 1st sister said "Did you know what husband called you? You're the protector at the doors. You know what that means? That he married you just to control your brother, that was why he married you!" and Pang Kiu said "No! I don't believe you!" but Fung Yee insisted she was right and said "Your brother has already lost his power, you are without position, align with us!"

or something like that because I really can't remember the last scene. But with Lau Fong making the final call I can safely say Bo Kei is indeed screwed.

Next episode, even Chai Gau loudly said Bo Kei is not head of household material but I have confidence in Chai Gau to take the side of the good and not let Fung Yee get her way.

I have no comments over the performances. I do however like to talk about Cheung Kiu's sudden almost demise. I feel it was so sudden! I suppose that is the effect the writer wanted. I hope he will wake up before he dies to restore order. Or will he die without regaining conciousness? Don't tell me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments for this particular episode. I really appreciate your comments as well as any addition, trivias and of course correction to any mistake in my recap. If you're posting spoilers, please avoid MAJOR SPOILERS whilst minor spoilers please do write SPOILERS before posting. Bookmark this post as there may be replies. Thanks!