twitter



Written by Funn Lim


No sign of Chai Gau, except for flashbacks. Let's just get this out of my chest; we all know he ain't dead. So where is he? How did he survive? Well the answer is NOT in this episode my friends. But we know how much he is missed.

Cheung Kiu is extremely worried and is very frail from worries about Kiu and Mo in the city now under attack by rebels. There were still no news and they were quietly having dinner when Fung Yee said "Husband, Bit Man told me he has friends in the city and he could help by asking his friends to find Kiu and Mo. What say you?" but Cheung Kiu just ignored her and Bit Man when suddenly Pang Hang rushed in and screamed "CHEUNG KIU! My sister and my nephew are in the city and missing. What are you doing to find them?! Don't you think I don't know how heartless you are! Before my sister left she was crying about how you see her as ..."

EVERYBODY, REPEAT AFTER ME ...

"... ghost repelling talisman!!"

Oh god, not that TZI GWAI LING FU sentence again!

"You have chased her away, so that you can live a happy life with your favourite, Hong Bo Kei! You better be looking for her, if anything bad happens to her, I will never let you live in peace!!"

And Cheung Kiu was very quiet and pale and Fung Yee said "Brother in law, husband is not that sort of man. He is looking..." and Bo Kei said "Look, we have sent men to look for 2nd sister and Mo, we are as worried about them as you!" and suddenly Bo Kei said "You leave first. We will inform you when we have news" and Pang Hang loudly said "You better find her or else!!! I know you have mistreated her, you too Hong Bo Kei! What have we Pang family done to deserve this treatment? My sister being chased away, my business being cut off by you all!!" and Bo Kei said "Master Hang, with regards to 2nd sister, don't you worry, we are looking for her and Mo. As for the business, whatever it is, Chai Gau and I will drop by later to discuss with you about it!" and Pang Hang without a pause said "Chai Gau? I don't want to talk to that despicable man! I will be more than happy if he is gone to begin with! Fine! I will leave!' and so he left. And I think Pang Hang left huffing and puffing.

Later gung ho Bit Man ran to Cheung Kiu with Fung Yee crying "Bit Man, don't, don't" and Bit Man said to Cheung Kiu who refused to look at him "Father, I have friends in the city. Let me go find my friends to help find 2nd mother and Mo. Father, I know I did wrong, let me redeem myself. I want to help, I want to find Mo, I am scared for him, I miss him very very much!" and Cheung Kiu said to Bo Kei "Bo Kei, you better check the shop. With this rebellion, I believe the officials may be coming soon to seek our help" and Bo Kei nodded and Cheung Kiu walked off without looking at Bit Man who was shrugging, Fung Yee knew things didn't look so good and Bo Kei just looked at them like Why are you both so damn fake huh?.

Pause here.

I forgot to mention in I believe 2 episodes or was it last episode when Fung Yee heard how Mo and Kiu are in a city under attacked, not only did she not feel afraid or worried, she smiled. EVIL.

Anyway, it has been 3 days since Chai Gau went missing. A very sombre Hoi Tong saw Pang Hang on a ermm chair being carried around? Open air sedan? Anyway, she ran to him and desperately cling on to him as she cried "Master Hang, I know you know things! Master Hang, Chai Gau hasn't been back for 3 days!" and Pang Hang snarled at her "You slut! What do I care about him?!" and Hoi Tong cried "Master Hang, I promise you, I promise I will leave this town, I promise I will leave Chai Gau, I promise you I will not appear before your eyes every again if you just tell me, where is Chai Gau? Master Hang, please!!!" and his men kicked her roughly and punched her I think. Bleeding on her face, she clung back to him and cried "I KNOW HE IS DEAD!! I KNOW YOU KILLED HIM! IS THAT TRUE? MASTER HANG, I JUST NEED TO KNOW!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE! TELL ME, IS HE DEAD???" and they pushed her roughly onto the floor, kicked her a few times and Pang Hang snarled "I know what happened to Chai Gau but why should I tell you?" and he left. Hoi Tong lay on the streets with blood on her face and cried a little, like in frustration.

That night Chai Gau's sworn brothers swore to kill Pang Hang to avenge Chai Gau's death. The No. 1 said to No. 2 and brothers "Chai Gau has been missing for almost 5 days. I think we all know he must be dead. And we all know Pang Hang did it. We have gone legitimate, so to ask all of you to join me in avenging our 3rd brother's death is unfair to you all. You have a choice; you can choose to follow me or you can choose to stay back" and one angry young brother said "Chai Gau Gor is our saviour! Without him we wouldn't have a legitimate business, we wouldn't even have chicken for dinner! Avenge Chai Gau Gor's death! Avenge Chai Gau Gor's death!" and everybody cried in unison as Hoi Tong looked on.

Bo Kei too was very worried about Chai Gau. He was missing so many days when I am not sure who told her but someone told her that Chai Gau's sworn brothers have all gathered in Chai Gau's mansion and she knew something was up. She rushed there and saw the men equipped with knives and she asked them "What do you think you're doing?" and they of course said they want to kill Pang Hang and Bo kei said "Do you think this is best for you all? To kill? Half of you may not make it back, the other half may be arrested and thrown out of the country, is that what you want, your family never to see you ever again?" and the leader or No. 2 I think said "We don't care. We are not afraid. We will avenge for Chai Gau Gor's death!" and Bo Kei emotionally said "You think you're the only one who cares for Chai Gau? When I was in trouble over the keys incident, it was Chai Gau, a mere servant who came out and spoke on my behalf. He saved me countless of times and shown me loyalty and friendship. I knew him longer than any of you here and I have been through much more with him than any of you here! Killing Pang Hang now is not the solution. What made you so sure it was Pang Hang?" and Hoi Tong walked out and said "I knew Master Hang more than any of you, he is a very small minded man. He wouldn't be able to take the humiliation that Chai Gau brought upon him, in business and in marrying his woman! If not him, who else? Who?" and Bo Kei said "I don't know but it could be someone else. Please, give me 1 day, just 1 day to find the truth" and No. 1 said "4th Madam, 3th brother has always said the one person he most respect is you. We will follow your advise! Men, put down your knives!" and Bo Kei felt relieved for a second.

But she knew the answer is with Pang Hang. She went to see Pang Hang who rather sleep with his mistress and made Bo Kei wait. Bo Kei tired of waiting rushed into the backyard and as Pang Hang's man stopped her and grabbed her hand, she stared at him icily and he backed off (death stare!) and she just walked onto Pang Hang's room, sat next to the bed as she saw Pang Hang asleep with his woman in his arms. Pang Hang woke up, shocked and said "Wha... WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM?!" and Bo Kei said "I know you rule over this town and nothing escapes your eyes. I know you know what happened to Chai Gau. Tell me what you know" and Pang Hang smirked and said "Why should I?" and Bo Kei walked close and looked at him squarely in the eyes "Remember my vows? I will hunt you down for the rest of my life if that is the last thing I will do. I will inform Chai Gau's brothers that YOU killed Chai Gau" and Pang Hang smirked "Be my guest!" and Bo Kei said "I will then bring this up to the empire and sue you for killing Chai Gau " and Pang Hang smirked "As if I am very scared at your threat!" and Bo Kei said "And then I will inform Lord Prince that when he was away, you defied his order and you killed Chai Gau" and so she left and Pang Hang finally hearing the impact of her threat ran after her, saying "4th madam! 4th Madam! Come on, no need to be so serious! Ok ok, all I know is there were 3 strangers in disguise following him on 2 occasions. Apparently there were many people in the waiting line with wanting Chai Gau dead, not just me and it turns out I am no. 2 in the line! Here, take this letter, that is all I know! Stop framing me for Chai Gau's death!!"

Pause here.

Pang Hang was funny in the way he said no. 2 in the line. So it means someone else wanted Chai Gau dead even more!

Bo Kei took the letter back to Chai Gau's mansion and No. 1 read the letter and said "Someone hired 3 professional assassins to kill 3rd brother. Surely he must be dead by now! They rarely fail! They will usually collect the full sum after 5 days, so we still have time to trace who are the hired killers!" and Bo Kei and Hoi Tong looked very pale at the knowledge of hired assassins and in their mind they knew Chai Gau must be dead. And everyone wondered, who wanted Chai Gau dead more than Pang Hang?

Back at home, Bo Kei kept thinking "Who? Who?" when she remembered Bit Man knowing Chai Gau wrote 4 anonymous letters, Chai Gau saying it was Bit Man who tricked him into Hoi Tong's house and gave false accusations and suddenly it hit Bo Kei; "Bit Man?" and in the room, Bit Ching rushed in and said to Bo kei "4th Mother, how was it? Chai Gau Gor has been missing for so many days, is it Pang Hang's doing?" and Bo Kei cryptically said "Bit Ching, I want you to follow Bit Man and report to me what you see" and Bit Ching agreed. One maid ran in and said "Master has fell and knocked his head! He has fainted" so they rushed out. Priest came by, and spoke to Bo Kei "I am sorry to say Master Cheung's heart is failing. He doesn't have much time. Here, take this syringe, remember how I thought you to use it? Using this will give Master Cheung 1 more hour of time. There is nothing much I can do for now" and so he left and Bo Kei and Lau Fong all cried. Bit Man quickly said "Mother, I know of a taoist master who may be able to help, I go find him now?" and Fung Yee said "Whatever you can do, just go" and so Bit Man rushed out. Bo Kei, despite extreme sadness whispered to Bit Ching "Remember my instructions?" and Bit Ching followed Bit Man.

Bit Ching saw Bit Man stuffing money into water bottle, went to the river and threw the bottle to 3 men in a boat. He went back and told Bo Kei and Bo Kei let him read the letter Pang Hang gave (the one where the 3 men wrote to Pang Hang) and Bit Ching cried "Brother hired assassins to kill Chai Gau Gor? He truly has lost his mind! No, I must report this to the authorities!" but Bo Kei stopped him and said this isn't the time but Bit Ching insisted and said "Chai Gau Gor has helped us so much! We must give him justice! Father doesn't even care about brother anymore! We must stop protecting him!" but Bo Kei said "Your father must not know this. He is too frail. Moreover, he may say he doesn't care for Bit Man but in his heart he still do! (True! He kept asking everyone to report to him if Bit Man has changed) I will pursue this matter and give Chai Gau justice but not now! Bit Ching, promise me, tell no one, promise me!" and Bit Ching reluctantly agreed.

Hoi Tong and sworn brothers paid final respect to Chai Gau by the river and No. 1 said "I am sorry my brother, we can't trace the killers! We are useless! But we promise you we will carry out your dreams and make the business a success!" and No. 2 said to Hoi Tong "You will forever be our brother's wife. We will send you monthly allowance and take care of you for the rest of your life" and Hoi Tong nodded sadly.

At night, we see Hoi Tong crying hard and pitifully as she took out her jewelry. She remembered Chai Gau in the past including the dog bone incident and she cried even harder as she mourned for him.

Pause here.

I really thought she was going to kill herself. No she didn't but she cried really really hard as she sat on the bed all alone.

Meanwhile Bo Kei in her office was crying hard too as she thought of Chai Gau and how he stood up for her, how he scolded her, how he helped her and she cried even harder thinking of Chai Gau.

Next day or some days later, official turned up and said government needs help and insisted Hing Fung Nin donate I believe 100,000 sacks of rice? Kati? Pounds? Anyway 100,000 of some unit and Bo Kei could only give 3000 and the official was very angry and scolded "YOu're ready to bear the wrath of the empire?!" and then Cheung Kiu, weaken said "Yes I am ready to bear the wrath of the empire, I am ready to bankrupt Hing Fung Nin, I am ready for all the backlash and I will not let you take advantage of us like that!!" and so the official angrily left and suddenly Cheung Kiu collapsed as Bo Kei held onto him and he weakly said "Bo Kei.. Bo Kei... I am so sorry to burden you with this family, Bo Kei.. take care of this family, take care of them all" and Bo Kei cried and nodded. Anyway he isn't dead, yet.

Bit Ching too went to the river at night and burn some incense and hell money as he said sadly "I am sorry Chai Gau Gor, I am very sorry I can't give you justice!" as Man rushed to him and cried "What is it Ching? We are going to get married so please tell me! Is it Chai Gau Gor? Is he dead? Ching, don't bottle up, or you'll explode! Tell me! Share with me your pain!" and reluctantly Ching told her what he knew and Man was very shocked to hear all that.

Man and Hing saw Bit Man in the kitchen touching the pot of medicine meant for Cheung Kiu and quickly tookover as Bit Man left and Hing said "Throw away that pot. Who knows what this bastard is capable of doing? He may even want to kill Master for the inheritence" and Man said "Mother, that may not be true" but Hing said loudly "Well, look at how he killed Chai Gau!!" and Bit Man rushed in and cried "WHAT DID YOU SAY? I KILLED CHAI GAU? WHO TOLD YOU THAT?! WHO TOLD YOU?!" as they ran out and Bit Man slapped Man and Hing said loudly "2nd Young Master told us! He told us how you hired assassins to kill Chai Gau! You're a murderer!!" and Bit man continued to chase after them. Fung Yee and Cheung Fatt overheard and Fung Yee was reeling with shock as Cheung Fatt urgently turned to Fung Yee and said "What? Eldest young master hired assassins to kill Chai Gau? How can he do that?!" and Fung Yee stared sternly and said "What makes you think what they say is true?" and Cheung Fatt grew quiet.

Pause here.

I truly believe Fung Yee really think Bit Man incapable of murder eventhough even Cheung Fatt kinda believed the accusations which explains why Fung Yee so stupidly wanted to do what she wanted to do next..

Bit Man chased them into the hall and scolded "HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME!! HOW DARE YOU?!?!?" as Fung Yee and the dog came out and Bit Man rushed to her and Fung Yee cut him off and said "We will bring this to husband, let him decide, whether he will throw them out or send them to the courts for punishment! " and by that time Bit Ching was there trying to play down the matter and said "They just heard rumours! Just repeating rumours!" as Bit Man made a big hoo-haa of it all and Fung Yee too as Bo Kei returned and looked squarely at Fung Yee and said "Husband is very weak, must you cause a scene?" and Fung Yee said sternly "No one will falsely accuse my son and get away with it. I will have you return my son's good name! Go now!" as Man and Hing were scared, Bit Man acting like he was morally upright, Bit Ching staring at Bit Man and Bo Kei, thinking perhaps how to solve yet another crisis.

Next episode, Cheung Kiu finally collapses and dies when he heard from Mo how Kiu died in an explosion when she was escaping the city with Kiu!!!

Sad! Sad! Sad!

And poor Fung Yee; she really do think the best of her son! And why waste breath? Bit Man will dig his own grave, push himself into it and busy himself in it!

Chai Gau, where are you?

Anyway I was very touched by Hoi Tong's real feelings for Chai Gau. The way she begged Pang Hang, she really do love Chai Gau and the way she cried so hard for him... very sad to watch. Just a wife for half a day and now a potential widow.

The scene where Bo Kei cried too was very sad, she was truly grateful to Chai Gau and it shows.

This episode certainly shows how Chai Gau has a huge impact on everyone's life and how they responded to his probably death was touching and in Pang Hang's case, kinda funny as well.

Performance wise, I thought Nancy Wu did exceedingly well with her crying scene and how she begged. I am just glad she is beyond one mode of expression.

Ron Ng however was awful. Still one expression and such bad posture.

Everyone else was very good, even Susan Tse in her classic moment that is denying Bit Man ever had anything to do with Chai Gau's disappearance. Special mention to Sheren Teng and her really death stare at that poor servant trying to stop her from going into Pang Hang's room. If eyes can kill, that certainly can kill a lot!

SAFE GUARD SAMENESS
Not quite but in Safe Guard, Ben Wong wanted Evergreen Mak to die since he had affair with Evergreen Mak's wife and Evergreen died when Ben didn't reveal that the route he was to take was filled with very fierce bandits. So that's the same sort of plot, and Ben was supposed to be the prodigal son like Bit Man is the eldest son and first in line to the business. But Ben did it to protect himself selfishly whilst Bit Man did it out of revenge, as selfish of course. In both cases the mothers couldn't believe their sons capable of such evil acts. Safe Guard still a better story in this respect. I will predict when Cheung Kiu dies, Bit Man will cry the loudest, like Ben did in Safe Guards which to me was a classic scene.

Ok, favourite line...

"4th madam! 4th Madam! Come on, no need to be so serious! Ok ok, all I know is there were 3 strangers in disguise following him on 2 occasions. Apparently there were many people in the waiting line with wanting Chai Gau dead, not just me and it turns out I am no. 2 in the line! Here, take this letter, that is all I know! Stop framing me for Chai Gau's death!!"

- Pang Hang to Bo Kei

9 comments:

  1. Agree about Seung Hau which is why Seung Hau is a smarter villain, like Fung Yee in a way. But he has no business killing Evergreen since he was wrong in the first place. Which is why I find Safe Guards a more thought provoking story.

    Ah Man and her mom, the way they discussed was loud enough for everyone to hear. And again a note to BIT MAN, if you did indeed do as accused, don't complain so loud. Look what happened the last time with Hoi Tong?

    But I do believe Fung Yee seriously thought he didn't do it, like he didn't sleep with Hoi Tong.

  1. Yes, he was wrong first. But, it's was between being dead and doing what is wrong. Tough choice. I guess he can beg his dad and Seung Chi for help to persuade Fo Yeung Hung to spare him and forever lost favor. But, the prospect still not very good. I did feel sorry for Hau initially. He succumbed to Mrs.Fo seduction in a moment of weakness and then things spin our of control. He did try to resist her initially, but, she was very persistent.

    I guess there's some appeal in the loud stupid villain that always dig his own grave. Maybe that's why Ngo Ka Nin and his Bit Man becomes popular.

  1. Which is why I feel Safe Guards is a better story. Rosy Business is very dramatic but tension filled but the story isn't always as cleverly written.

    I like how in Safe Guards the father became very disappointed with his son who lost his honour, he does not have integrity. That is why that son can't lead the business.

    In Rosy Business he is just useless.

  1. Remember, in Safe Guards to his father it is better to die with honour than to live without honour. And he basically committed murder like the way you said it. Thus he has a rotten soul. Isn't that tough a choice. And he is a man, a man should resist temptation and not give in to it and then cover his tracks and then blame everyone but himself.

    You know what, Safe Guards is classic!

    And I saw the trailer for Ghost Writer or Ghost whatever? Looks mighty interesting!

  1. Watched episode 1 of Ghost Writer. Seems interesting, though I find some scenes bringing out the characteristics in Pu Song Ling (Steven Ma) seems to be overkill. Yeah yeah we know he is kind, he is playful, a bit immature, no need rub in our face. But that's just my minor gripe. Otherwise ok.

  1. "But, it's was between being dead and doing what is wrong.

    Sorry, supposed to be 'doing what is right'. :P

    Yes, he 'should' resist the temptation but he couldn't. I don't blame him too much for succumbing since the woman was very persistent and he did have feelings for her. Everyone has a moment of weakness. But, I guess what made him deplorable is what he did after that.

    Yes, Safe Guards really show the shades of human being better. Like Hau. You can see his reason for doing what he did.
    He has finally taste success. I think before that, I don't think he thought he has any chance to be boss because their father was favouring their big brother very much just becuase he's firstborn. But, later, Seung Chi supported him and he can see a good prospect in the future. You can see why giving it all up is hard. Yes, the right thing to do was face the music and prepared bear the consequence for his actions. But, not everyone is Seung Chi.
    And I think Fo Yeung Hung still have not given up the thought of killing him when he went on his fatal mission.

    Ghost Writer is produced by the same producer who produced 'A Journey Called Life', 'Greatness of a Hero', 'Steps' and 'A Watchdog's Tale'. Given his resume, Ghost Writer shouldn't be too bad.

  1. Watch Rosy Business yesterday. Starting from this episode.

    Ron Ng really cannot act leh. No expression when he's supposed to be really sad. The actor who played Bit Mo act better than him. You can see his sadness when he related how his mom died.

    Ngo Ka Nin was really good. He act better here than in Salt.

    Also, the age confusion again. I forgot which episode, but, Bo Kei said Fung Yee married Cheung Kiu at the age of 18 and they have been married for 31 years. So, Fung Yee is only 49, not 50+. The scriptwriters really didn't collaborate properly. These mistakes have appeared in quite a number of series before. I most remember one where a female character said she has dated 4 times (or more, I forgot exactly), then later she said she has been with her current boyfriend since she's 16. (=.=)

    And Cheung Kiu really really love Bit Man. He love Bit Man more than his other 2 sons. Bit Man was a smart kid when he was little. He's grandpa fave and Cheung Kiu also love him to bits. Imagine Cheung Kiu's disappointment when Bit Man turn out to be like this. Poor Cheung Kiu. And Bit Man actually displayed his smartness in one episode. Maybe you can say it's poor writing and inconsistent with his character. But, that was really smart move.

  1. Btw, just a trivia. The group that attacked the city was the 'Long Hair Thieves' (Cheung Mo Chak). This group was actually not thieves but revolutionists who want to build a Peaceful Heaven for China. They were responsible for the Taiping Rebellion.

    This group also appeared in Safe Guards. IIRC, Seung Chung cut his hair to pretend to be a 'cheung mo chak' and Cheung Fung's MIA husband also pretended to be 'cheuk mo chak' to escape attack in his flashback revelation, I think.

  1. Yes I kinda realised that. So I wrote rebels. Rebels sound better.

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments for this particular episode. I really appreciate your comments as well as any addition, trivias and of course correction to any mistake in my recap. If you're posting spoilers, please avoid MAJOR SPOILERS whilst minor spoilers please do write SPOILERS before posting. Bookmark this post as there may be replies. Thanks!