twitter



Written by Funn Lim


I still don't get Fung Yee's masterplan and after this episode I realise Fung Yee is not only stupid, she is blindingly stupid. And what is more terrible than a stupid person? A stupid person who thinks she is smart. And what is even worse than such a person? A stupid person who thinks she is smart AND right. Disaster I tell you. But fear not, Super Bo Kei to the rescue! And assisted by her super assistant, Great Chai Gau!

And so the challenge was on. Fung Yee vs Bo Kei.

AND Chai Gau is still here! I thought he left? Nope, gonna go. But before that Bo Kei felt something terrible is coming. The weather was unusually hot, then there were grasshoppers I think with another species I suppose, like Locust? She was very worried and she came across Cheung Kiu's diaries and in it he wrote about what happened some 16 years ago where the same weather as today happened and they were attacked by millions of locusts, eating all the rice on the paddy fields and leaving the town without any rice for 3 years! Cheung Kiu regretted he didn't take some action back then and Bo Kei now felt she was in the same position.

Chai Gau too noticed something wasn't right. He told Bo Kei what he saw and observed and also on what happened that 16 years ago where the weather was extremely hot and then it began to rain very hard and then came the locusts. Chai Gau told Bo Kei to be very observant and Bo Kei agreed.

Meanwhile Hoi Tong came by to see Chai Gau but Chai Gau shooed her off. He did ask her "If you didn't pretend to meow like a cat and open the side door, who did? I remember you said oh now you came back to me when you thought I was someone else. There was someone else wasn't it? Who was it? Another man?" and Hoi Tong denied all allegations but Chai Gau said "Remember, whoeever did that obviously wanted me dead BUT he also didn't care about you either. If I know who it was I swear I will kill him!" but Hoi Tong insisted she didn't know.

At home, Bit Man came to see Hoi Tong but Hoi Tong confronted him about what happened that night. Bit Man defended himself saying he told everyone she was molested and all and Hoi Tong was still very angry until somehow Bit Man calmed her down and they hugged. Stupid Hoi Tong but she is actually an ok person.

Chai Gau was given a farewell dinner and he reminded his men "Remember, we are all 4th Madam gang! You must all assist her when she needs your help. She has a lot of devils around her, she needs our help with the business!" and the men cheered to that. Bo Kei appeared and all were very happy to see her and Bo Kei explained she found out there was a farewell dinner so she decided to come. Chai Gau said "Thank you for coming 4th Madam" and Bo Kei jokingly said "I don't think I can stand a polite Chai Gau! We may not be employer and employee anymore, but I believe we are friends. Here, take this $100 as a token of my appreciation for your service" but Chai Gau refused and said "4th Madam, I can't accept that. My grandmother taught me 3 things in life;" frankly I forgot the exact 3 things but I think it was one must work hard, one must help friends, and one must share things with friends. Anyway Bo Kei was very touched by Chai Gau's loyalty and frankness and said "Ok, then take this bag of superior white rice to your old grandmother for me" and Chai Gau accepted that and so said goodbye to Bo Kei.

Bo Kei wrote letters to Lau Fong, who by the way left with Bit Ching and the 2 swindler servants, mother is Auntie Hing and daughter is Ah Man. They wrote constantly and in it Bo Kei wrote about life in the family whilst Lau Fong wrote back on how they were warmly welcomed home by the villagers. And Cheung Kiu's fingers seem to moved more often, giving Bo Kei hope.

However Bo Kei was still very very worried and so asked the rice merchants over for a meeting with madam kepo that is Fung Yee and Pang Kiu and Bit Man plus the dog, Uncle Cheung Fatt all there as well. Bo Kei explained the situation and suggested they each stop selling rice and keep some in the warehouse, just in case but the merchants protested, saying that would kill their profit, they were bound by contract and that there wouldn't be locusts as there needs to be rain for an entire month, despite Bo Kei capturing some of the locusts and showing the merchants. So Bo Kei decided not to press the issue.

Bit Man was very angry at his mom for not telling Bo Kei off but his mom said "You're so impulsive! Remember, we must observe first, and then when we know the situation then we attack. But I think we now have a strategy" and Pang Kiu asks what it was and she said "Whatever she says, we disagree. Whatever she disagrees, we agree. Understand? And since your father is waking up, Bit Man, stay with him more, so that when he wakes up he will see you were doing something instead of nothing all these while".

Wow Fung Yee, what a BRILLIANT strategy, that is if Cheung Kiu is an idiot. Cheung Kiu can see you know, he can reverse all decisions. I can't see how not listening to the one smart person in the household will really help Bit Man secure the fortune.

And so they did those little things like hanging prayer lamps and all. Bo Kei just let them do it. She's far too busy anyway.

Chai Gau back at home with his adopted grandmother enjoying a meal. Old grandmother said "Based on what you said you're very lucky to have such a great employer like 4th Madam. You must serve her well" but Chai Gau said "Grandma, I actually have a better offer somewhere else and I am thinking of accepting that offer" and grandma smiled her toothless grin and said "I am just an old uneducated village woman, I really don't know much about the world. You decide what you want to do. When you go back, remember to take this dried "possum" (I really don't know how to translate a Lap Tin Shue which literally translated as Field Rat") to 4th Madam"

and then it began to rain heavily and Chai Gau was worried. Even Bo Kei was worried.

Pause here.

I must say I really like the old grandmother. So kawaii!! And I am also amazed she is still very much alive! I mean I really thought she starved to death and here is the amazing old grandmother, alive and well! How did she survive the famine when she was bedridden with hunger and crippled by old age? How did she find food? I believe if we can answer these questions we would have solved many riddles of life! Amazing super Grandma, ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Bo Kei re-read what Cheung Kiu wrote and knew she had to make a decision soon.

Meanwhile she wrote letters to Bit Ching, citing her worries. Bit Ching too was worried and felt useless and couldn't even laugh when Man played a trick on him.

Meanwhile Chai Gau was coming back and saw many crickets, grashoppers and I believe locusts flying everywhere.

Bo Kei again called for a meeting with the merchants who now heeded Bo Kei's warning and said "Whatever you decide to do we will follow. You are the acting chairman of our association" and so Bo Kei didn't know what to say and Bit Man came out and stupidly suggested capturing all chickens, release into the fields to eat the locusts. Of course he doesn't understand the term millions of locusts but Bo Kei let him talk as a servant whispered something in her ear. She excused herself, went in and saw Chai Gau. She happily greeted him and Chai Gau gave her the dried meat and Bo Kei happily said "Please thank your grandmother for her gracious gift!". Chai Gau then turned serious and said "4th Madam, as I was coming home, I saw many locusts. Have you decided on what to do?" and Bo Kei said "I too noticed that and I am thinking. Chai Gau, I am thinking about an early harvest, at least we can save 20% of the rice instead of nothing. I believe if Hing Fung Nin being the major rice merchant do this, others will follow. What do you think?"

Nice that she actually asked for his opinion.

Chai Gau seriously said "4th Madam, early harvest does seem to be a good solution. However if you will listen to me 4th Madam, my suggestion is for you to do nothing at all" and Bo Kei was surprised by his suggestion as he continues "Many here wants to see you fail. If you do nothing and the locusts do come and destroy the fields and leave us with nothing, you can protect yourself by saying it was natural occurrence. No one can pin the blame on you. But if you were to harvest only 20%, no matter what, if the locusts don't come, they will surely blame you for the loss of 80% of the harvest. Calculate carefully 4th madam, it doesn't benefit you at all!" and Bo Kei thought about Chai Gau's wisdom who was right by the way and then said she will need to go out now and Chai Gau reminded her "Remember, do nothing at all!"

Once outside Bit Man still busy with his chicken theory and Bo Kei said "I have decided that Hing Fung Nin will start with an early harvest" and the merchants cried "What? That is only 20% of the harvest" but Bo Kei insisted it is better than absolutely nothing and Chai Gau heard what she said and sighed deeply. Obvious right that Bo Kei will make this decision?

Ahhhh Fung Yee slammed her hand down and said "I disagree! We can't lose 80% of the harvest" and the dog said "4th Madam I disagree too" and Bo Kei insisted that if everyone helps it can be done but Uncle Cheung Fatt said "I still disagree and my men will not assist you 4th madam"

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Uncle Cheung Fatt, who is the boss here??

And Fung Yee still disagreed and Bo kei said "Eldest sister, please don't forget who is running the business here" and still dog says he disagrees and Fung Yee said "Don't worry Uncle Cheung Fatt. You are our senior of 2 generations here. No one will dare to fire you! Not when I am still around!" and Bo Kei sighed at their stupidity and insisted and Bit Man did what Bo Kei did to him much earlier in the series "So you will bear the consequences?" and Bo Kei said "YES" and he said "If the locusts don't turn up you will return the keys and leave?" and Bo kei said "YES!!" and so she walked back inside the house.

Chai Gau met with Bo Kei and emotionally said "4th Madam, I always meet people who think of themselves first, very rarely I meet anyone who thinks of others first! 4th Madam, I have decided to delay my departure. My men, myself and I am sure even 2nd young master's men will help you with the harvest if no one will! I Chai Gau admires a person who acts for the benefit of others and I am proudly a 4th Madam gang member!" and Bo Kei was near tears and thanks Chai Gau.

And so the rain continues, the locusts continues to turn up and Bo Kei wrote to Bit Ching about what happened.

Chai Gau and his men were on their way in the rain and they were blocked by the dog's men. They fought and Chai Gau won as more of his men arrived. They worked day and night, building warehouse, secured at the rooftop with wooden planks and the men asked why 4th madam asked them to do this and Chai Gau said "Whatever 4th madam says, we do" and the men were worried if the locusts didn't turn up and 4th madam will be forced to leave (therefore they lose their jobs as well) but Chai Gau reassured them "Brothers! We are 4th Madam gang, remember that! Moreover, how many more decades does one have? Why not spend the time we have doing the right thing? This is the right thing! Come on brothers, we have work to do!" and so the men continued to work.

Amazing

1. they all listen to him
2. Uncle Cheung Fatt is so influential
3. Bit Man actually think he can garner the support of these men!

I am very disappointed Bo Kei didn't like give her terms when being scolded by Bit Man. She should have said "If the locusts do come, you Bit Man will jump to your death, you Fung Yee get lost from this house, Cheung Fatt, you will yelp like a dog, all of you will be fired and Pang Kiu, you will be kicked out!!"

But never! What a missed opportunity!!

Anyway Bit Ching made a decision to go home. His mother Lau Fong opposed bitterly and cried "You promised me you will listen to me" and Bit Ching argued "But mother, 4th mother is all alone, she needs help!" and she cried "You promised me you will stay with me" and he said "But the town is in danger!" and Man and Auntie Hing tried to calm them down but Lau Fong cried "You will stay!" and Bit Ching said "Actually I have decided to leave when you're settled down, I never intended to stay" and Lau Fong angrily said "Is she your mother or AM I YOUR MOTHER?" and Bit Ching rightly retorted "Are you a member of the Cheung family or are you not?" and Lau Fong couldn't reply to that and Bit Ching walked away.

That night Lau Fong told Man to follow him back and take good care of him and she said she isn't angry with Bit Ching at all. She can't follow him back as "I will be a burden, they will use me as a hostage against Bit Ching, I better stay here, that will be more helpful to Bit Ching".

And so Bit Ching left with Man and said goodbye to Fong and Hing.

Bo Kei walked in and saw Pang Kiu with Cheung Kiu. Pang Kiu taunted Bo Kei and said "I hope you don't run down the business by behaving like this! Now everyone is saying how selfish we are to harvest early and blaming us for losing 80% harvest!"  Bo Kei cornered Pang Kiu and said softly "Sister, promise me, if I were to be wrong about the locusts and got kicked out, promise me you will do all you can to prevent Bit Man from destroying the business" and Pang Kiu "Don't trick me into discord with first sister! I will not help you!" and Bo kei said "You really think Cheung Kiu never loved you?" and Pang Kiu said loudly "I am just a door protector! He sees me as a door protector! How can anyone love a door protector!!" and Bo Kei said "He loves you, he does. If you don't believe me, read this" and handed her the diary. "He made an entry about Mo's birth and you, read it and tell me if you still think he doesn't care about you".

Pang Kiu read, it was the chapter on the day the locusts came to attack the town and Cheung Kiu said "It was the worst disaster for this town, and I didn't know what to do and it was also the day Mo was born. Kiu was in labour, and the doctor said ..."

FLASHBACK

"Master Cheung, it is a breached birth! 2nd Madam needsa doctor" and everyone was worried and Cheung Kiu summoned the servant (not the dog) to go and the servant went reluctantly but returned with his faces scratched and said "No doctors would come Master! There are just too many locusts flying outside!" ...

Pang Kiu was still reading as Cheung Kiu wrote...

"Give me a straw coat, a lamp and a straw hat! I will go myself!" and Cheung Kiu braved the locusts and there were a lot..

Pause here. Great special effects! The locusts looked real and menacing.

He fell and stood up and finally returned with a distressed looking doctor!

The doctor came out and said "Master, it is too difficult a birth. Tell me, if you had to choose, would you choose the baby or the mother's life?"

and Madam Cheung was there and funnily said "God please save my grandchild! Please save my grandchild!" but Cheung Kiu without a moment of hesitation said "Save the mother, no matter what!"

Cheung Kiu narrated "And then my son, Bit Mo was born. It was a joyous night even if it was disaster out there. Kiu had a difficult birth and she selflessly put her life on the line to give me a son. I promised myself from that day onwards I will appreciate her more..."

Pang Kiu stopped reading, looked at Cheung Kiu on the bed and cried silently...

Next episode, again Super Bo Kei was right! She should have told Bit Man to be the human shield against the menacing locusts!!


I like the end scene, how Cheung Kiu actually chose Kiu. He may not have married her for love, but in the end he did love her. No wonder he was so patient with her, not because of Pang Hang but because of what happened on that fateful day. I hope Pang Kiu wakes up from being so darn stupid.

As for Fung Yee, again WHAT IS HER MASTERPLAN????

It will never ever ever ever work!

There are many things I like about this episode, first and foremost Chai Gau's loyalty, Hoi Tong's insistence on saying sorry to Chai Gau, the loyalty of Chai Gau's men who now have more personality than in the beginning where they were mostly cowards, Bit Ching's argument with his mom, Bo Kei's decision, Pang Kiu's reaction, Cheung Kiu's narration, the special effects and of course, most of all, the kawaiiiiiiiii old super grandma who just refuse to die!

Performances wise, all round very good, except Ron Ng single expression all the way, the girl who plays Man is cute but still an awful actress. I have no opinion on others which remains unchanged. However, let's talk about Susan Tse.

I don't think she is awful but I don't think she is great either. I think she belongs to the old school of acting where everything is amplified. I now know when she is in her evil ways, she purses her lips and widen her eyes. When she tries to be conniving, she smiles that tiny smile. All the way her hands and body made very minimal movements. I am ok with all that but I just wish well.. she isn't so predictable. But she isn't bad, in fact I think her acting is ok. Just a bit too theateric in her expression for my taste and too non moving in other places.

Kiki Sheung continues to be wasted in this role except for the last scene. She can act but terribly underused in here.

Kara Hui was fantastic. Of course she cries so many times but very authetic sort of crying.

I really look forward to how Bo Kei saves the day again in this ATTACK OF THE LOCUSTS episode.

And since I and everybody have been saying how this is the same with Safe Guards (more than Sweetness In The Salt by the way) I have decided to add in all my recap my observation on the sameness.

SAMENESS OBSERVATION
Very the same. True! Bo Kei and Seung Chi have to face many crisis and make tough decisions.

Except if you look deeply, Bo Kei knows what to do all the time, the question is should she do it or will she do it.

In Safe Guards, Seung Chi doesn't know what to do but knew he had to do something and do it fast. He panics, he is scared, he worries, he stumbles, etc. So it makes Seung Chi more human but none the stupider than Bo Kei.

But still very the same.

Favourite line...A bit of Chai Gau's wisdom...

"Many here wants to see you fail. If you do nothing and the locusts do come and destroy the fields and leave us with nothing, you can protect yourself by saying it was natural occurrence. No one can pin the blame on you. But if you were to harvest only 20%, no matter what, if the locusts don't come, they will surely blame you for the loss of 80% of the harvest. Calculate carefully 4th madam, it doesn't benefit you at all!"

- Chai Gau to Bo Kei

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.
  1. Good to know that Cheung Kiu truly did love Pang Kiu. I hope Pang Kiu will go and help Bo Kei too. Didn't she pledge to be on the side of whoever that saved her son last time? She should be on Lau Fong and Bit Ching's side!

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments for this particular episode. I really appreciate your comments as well as any addition, trivias and of course correction to any mistake in my recap. If you're posting spoilers, please avoid MAJOR SPOILERS whilst minor spoilers please do write SPOILERS before posting. Bookmark this post as there may be replies. Thanks!