twitter



Written by Funn Lim


Almost halfway through the series. So very fast. This is a good episode but something as I shall explain later made it stupid later on.

From the last episode, Bo kei walked slowly into the house as Chai Gau looked on in complete awe of her and said "4th Madam, please leave, let me be! Leave!" and she faced the angry mob and slowly closed the door. Once inside she took some time to calm herself down and then she faced Chai Gau who was begging her to leave as she calmly said "Chai Gau, sit down" and so he did and they faced each other. Chai Gau cried "4th madam, I can never escape from here. It was own stupidity that I fell into this predicament. 4th Madam, maybe my time is up. Maybe my life is ending today and the journey is right up to here. Don't bother with a nobody like me, 4th Madam these men are crazy and they will do anything, they may even burn you alive with me in here! Go 4th Madam, save yourself!" but Bo Kei slowly and calmly said "Chai Gau, no one would wish for death, only for survival. Didn't you always say how many more decades does one have in our lives? Wish for life Chai Gau. Don't worry, the official is coming soon, they won't dare do anything yet".

The men outside ran to Pang Hang and the men even suggested to Pang Hang "BURN HER IN IT AS WELL!!!!" and Pang Hang went personally to the house and said "Let me go in and talk to that woman". He dramatically pushed open the door and there it was Bo Kei, looking up calmly although her eyes registered worry whilst Chai Gau was directly behind her, sweating, eyes registering fear.

"4th Madam, this is none of your business. Don't threaten me with cutting off my business and all that nonsense. Tell me, which man should allow this to go unnoticed? To have his woman molested and to just let it be?! You leave now, not worth dying for this scumbag!" but Bo kei calmly said "2nd brother in law (kinda formal sounding but that is his position), I cannot conciously stand by and let you do this. I believe Chai Gau. Tell me, where on earth would a would be rapist take along 2 wine cups and a plate of fried snack and sneak into a house to rape someone? Moreover, the door by the side was opened, Chai Gau didn't climb in. And when you discovered them, they were not on the bed, they were standing, struggling with one another. I know you trust her, but Chai Gau was seduced, he did not rape her nor molest her. It was consensual"

Pang Hang said "Hoi Tong said otherwise!"

Hoi Tong I finally learnt is the name of the mistress.

"Master Hang, if you intend to kill Chai Gau for what you think he did, what about your other women? If I remember correctly, your first mistress married someone else. The second one married the local official. Why didn't you burn down the court? Or the house of these men? Why just Chai Gau? Master Hang, you and I both know what really happened. Can't we just call this thing off? Why sour our business relationship for some woman that you won't probably remember in a few more years like the other 2? Like I said Master Hang, if you kill Chai Gau, I will spend the rest of my life doing nothing but bring you to justice!"

Pang Hang said "Fine, let's just say I agree with what you said, but my men, they won't be satisfied! You deal with them!" and Bo Kei paused for a while and then opened the doors and said, "Fellow men, please listen to me for a while. The entire thing was just a misunderstanding. All has been resolved. You may all leave" but they paused and then continued to chant "Kill the rapist! For justice!" and Chai Gau and even Bo Kei looked scared with Pang Hang looking smug. Bo kei turned to Chai Gau and said, "Chai Gau, come on, let's walk out of here" and Chai Gau looked doubtful but he followed 4th Madam.

Meanwhile, before that Bit Ching was running towards the house with a few guards and bumped into Chai Gau's men (as in fellow workers). They asked him what was going on and Bit Ching explained the official was not in and so he was running there with a few guards. The men bravely said they want to follow as well and help Chai Gau. I tell you when I saw this scene I had a feeling one day Chai Gau will end up like in Pang Hang's position, with fellow men following him.

Anyway They reached there and there was a huge mob. I must admit TVB really put quite a big budget into this scene because there were a large mob, all crying "Kill the rapist! For justice!" repeatedly. Bo Kei walked out, Chai Gau froze, too scared to walk and Bo Kei, like a leader she is, held Chai Gau's hand and he dutifully followd her as she too was very worried but walked on. One man walked forward, seemingly about to do something but Bo Kei gave him the death stare and the men just parted and let her walked with Chai Gau, Bit Ching and his employees following her and away. Pang Hang looked on, angry but said nothing, however symbolically they burnt down the house whilst chanting that slogan they were chanting.

Pang Hang went home and Hoi Tong rushed to him and asked urgently "Did you just kill Chai Gau? Did you?". She didn't say it like she wanted Chai GAu to die, in fact she asked with much concern, like someone who didn't want their hands tainted with blood and Pang Hang shouted "You slut dared to seduce other men and of all men that Chai Gau?! You dared to do that?" and he slapped her again and again and again and again and again. Very brutal scene shown in the shadows only.

Next scene Bit Ching went to see the swindler girl, her name I now know as Man whilst her mom is Aunt Hing. She wasn't there so Bit Ching went into the room and went to the bird and said "Magical bird, tell me, will father wake up?" and the girl caught him, laughed at him but still went along with the game and the bird chose a card which said something like "The sun will rise soon" which means the father will be fine. Bit Ching was happy.

Whilst Lau Fong, Bit Ching and Bo Kei were were attending to Cheung Kiu, Bo Kei asked Ching "Have you seen Chai Gau?" and Ching said "Barely. He is like a changed man. He works hard and yet during spare time just sit by the corner by himself" and Bo kei said "If you see him, bring him to me. I still intend to promote him to 3rd manager" but Ching said "He doesn't want it anymore 4th mother, he has changed". Bo Kei looked worried when suddenly Cheung Kiu's finger moved they were all excited and he moved again and right about that time the priest came in and looked at Cheung Kiu who has been in coma for months. In the living room so to speak, all were there and the priest said he believes Cheung Kiu will soon wake up and "the sun shall rise again". Everyone, even Pang Kiu looked happy. But Fung Yee, looked like she was plotting something.

Next scene, Man and her mom saw Ching bought a birdcage and he said he was buying it for the bird since what the bird said came true. Man and her mom laughed at him and explained the entire thing was just a trick that even a 10 year old child would know and she teased him "Cheung Bit Chun (stupid)" and Ching said "You naughty girl! I thought you changed, you won't lie and here you're lying again!" and she replied laughingly "Well I lied to make you feel better! That is different!" and she walked away arm in arm with her mom laughing whilst Ching felt rather stupid.

Fung Yee with Pang Kiu, Bit Man and that idiot Uncle Cheung Fatt. Bit Man panicking "Father is waking up soon! What if he finds out I tried to kick
her out and get the keys?" and even Kiu looked kinda worried whilst Fung Yee said "He won't divorce me, he will just scold me but others I am not sure. Uncle Cheung Fatt, what should we do now?" and Uncle Cheung Fatt said "Let 4th madam retain the keys but I did pledge to old Master that I will help Bit Man to secure his rights to the family business". Uncle Cheung Fatt, have you got anything else to say than that?

Fung Yee looked like she was plotting and she said "Well we have to save ourselves. It is time to act. We will divide all employees into 3 groups; one to promote, one to demote, one to fire!" and Bit Man looked scared at his mom's evil face and Fung Yee looked determined.

Pause here.

Determined to do WHAT? How can doing that will help Bit Man? More ridiculousness to follow.

Chai Gau was walking on the streets when 2 girls walked by, ripped their clothes and scream Chai Gau molested them. Chai Gau ran for his life. In the warehouse, Chai Gau calmed down but then the 2 girls came with their mother and made a lot of noise. Chai Gau denied everything and his men told the women to leave as they said "You must be sent by that Pang Hang!" and then Bo Kei walked in and the women became very quiet, fearful also as Bo Kei said "I heard everything. If what you said is true, fine, let's all go to the courts and let the judge decide" and the mother panicked and said "You rich people think you can do anything!! I will tell people never to buy Hing Fung Nin's rice who harbours a rapist! Shame on you all!!" and they left. Bo Kei told Chai Gau to come to her and she spoke gently "Chai Gau, I want to discuss with you about the arrangements to be made to promote you to 3rd manager" and Chai Gau cried "No 4th Madam, I won't take the position! I am now called a rapist! I will only damage Hing Fung Nin's reputation". Chai Gau really is having a really low self esteem. Anyway Bo Kei gently said "I believe you have proven your worth in this company. We have 1st Manager who runs the sales, 2nd Manager the accounts and since we lack the 3rd manager, why not like this Chai Gau? You just take on the responsibility for a little while? How about that?" and Chai Gau said "No 4th Madam. Please don't promote me! I will hear none of that! I will go back to work and just earn my salary here, I will be very happy" and he walked away and Bo Kei was at lost as to what to do with Chai Gau.

It was at night, Chai Gau was walking home alone when some girls walked by and whispered "Oh that rapist. Hurry!" and Chai Gau looked dejected when Hoi Tong, her face veiled approached him and Chai Gau naturally screamed "Get away from me!" and Hoi Tong said "Chai Gau Gor, I didn't mean you harm! I swear!" and Chai Gau angrily said "Then why did you say what you said? That I climbed into your bed? That I ripped your clothes and tried to rape you? When I wanted to leave and you stopped me! You even imitated a cat's meow and opened the side door!" and Hoi Tong said "If I didn't say that Master Hang will kill me! Even now, look at me..." and she revealed her face, her cheeks badly swollen from the severe beating but Chai Gau was unsympathetic and said "Just leave me alone!" and Hoi Tong said "Wait! Who said I imitated cat's meow? I never did that! I didn't even leave open the side door! I swear it! I didn't!" and Chai Gau looked at her, kinda believing her but then he screamed that she just leave him alone and he ran away whilst Hoi Tong shouted "Chai Gau Gor! Chai Gau Gor!".

I believe Hoi Tong is not a bad person since she did come to personally apologise to him. At least Pang Hang didn't kill her.

Chai Gau reached home and started to think who then tempted him and framed him? Who? When suddenly heard a loud knock and angry man's voice "CHAI GAU!!" and he panicked and said "No! I didn't rape anyone!" and it was actually the former bandit's no 2 man! Chai Gau relaxed as the man explained he just delivered the rice and so stopped by to say hello and said let's go to prostitute den and Chai GAu said no no no and the men laughed and said "If you dare to seduce Pang Hang's woman, you can't be afraid of some prostitute?" but Chai Gau refused and the men said ok and so went to have a drink.

During the drink the men praised Chai Gau who humbly smiled and the no. 2 bandit said "Chau Gau Gor, our men has always wanted to ask you this. Why don't you join us as our boss' 2nd right hand man (the one making an offer is no. 1 so Chai Gau is technically offered no. 2 job but in effect the master bandit no. 3 so to speak but I shall stick with no. 2 term)?" and Chai Gau said "What would I do over there?" and no. 1 said "We have manpower, we have brawns but we don't have brains. Chai Gau gor, you're smart and our men still talk about how you came to our place with 2 pistols to negotiate! Come join us!" and Chai Gau said "I don't think I can. I am sorry. You see, 4th Madam has treated me so well, I want to stay with her, I have to, she is surrounded by small minded people plotting against her" and No. 2 said "well if that is the case, since we can't be partners, we shall be brothers!" and they all cheered to that.

This scene convinces me Chai Gau's fate is with forming a triad or something, like Pang Hang.

Lau Fong was coming home when she saw Aunt Hing being dragged out by police with Man crying and Lau Fong was told Hing stole Kiu's jewelries which Hing denied and Man begged Fong to help her and Fong said she will talk to Kiu and asked Man to follow Hing to the courts. Fong ran in and found Kiu with Fung Yee and Bit Man and begged Kiu to help but Kiu said "Oh no, she didn't steal at all! I framed her!" and Fong looking stunned asked "How you can be so cruel? She will be beaten and she will die, Aunt Hing is too old for that sort of punishment!" and Kiu said "Well, she betrayed us and took her side with that woman. She needs to be taught a lesson" and Fong cried and begged Fung Yee who just cupped her hands to her ears, Bit Man who just pushed her away and Kiu who threatened "Today, that Hing and her daughter, tomorrow, you and your son! What? You think you can betray us and not have any consequences? That we will just let you and Ching get a share in the fortune and my son? What about big sister's son? We are all Cheung family too! And we are all mothers and an eagel will protect her children when under threat, more so us?" and Fong in tears and in total disbelief said "How can you all be so cruel? Why have you all changed into this? Why?" and she fainted.

Pause here.

Ah Fong.... Ah Fong... Ah Fong! Only now you see their cruelty? All those threats before like swearing to god and all was what? Child plaything?

A servant told Bo Kei who ran to see Fong whilst Bit Ching was there already, alarmed at the shaking Fong and asked what happened and Fong just said "You promise me one thing Ching. Leave with me. We pack up and leave for village tomorrow. Promise me!" and Ching said "I will promise you but tell me what happened?" and Fong told him what happened and Bo Kei overheard and Fong looked at her and said "I am sorry 4th sister, please take good care of husband from now on, Ching and I are leaving for the village tomorrow" and Ching looked on, expressionles like Ron Ng is.

Then more bad news. Chai Gau came to see Bo kei and said "4th Madam, I have decided after thinking for many days. I am going to take No. 2's offer to go and live with the bandits who are now legitimising their business. I can be of use there. Here, there is no place for someone like me anymore. My reputation is ruined and I can no longer stay. 4th Madam, please let me have your blessing" and Bo Kei looking glum said "You have my blessing Chai Gau and remember if you ever need my help, I am here at Hing Fung Nin" and Chai Gau looked at her gratefully and bowed and said "Thank you 4th Madam".

And so even Chai Gau leaves!

Bo Kei was with Cheung Kiu when the terrible 3 and their pet dog (Fung Yee, Kiu, Bit Man and their dog, Uncle Cheung Fatt) came in to see Bo Kei and I think it was Kiu or Bit Man who said "Since Ching and Fong has left and Chai Gau is leaving, this company needs a bit of rerrangement. Here, Uncle Cheung Fatt has some suggestion as to who to promote, who to demote and who to retrech." I think it was Bit Man who said "I have seen it and approve of it" and Cheung Fatt let Bo Kei see and Bo Kei said "Big sister, can I see you in private?"

In private, Bo Kei said "I will be straight with you. I do not think 2nd sister is capable of such planning of who to fire, demote or promote. She doesn't have that brain and that would leave you. Why not be honest with me first sister? What is it you want to achieve out of all these?" and Fung Yee smiled and said "I don't understand what is it you're saying" and Bo kei said "Let's be open now".

Fung Yee stopped smiling and playing dumb and said "Since you have put it that way, fine. Every mother wants the best for their children, I just want Bit Man to inherit what is rightfully his" and Bo Kei walked right up to her and said "Do you really think he has the capabilities to run Hing Fung Nin? Do you honestly think he can?" and Fung Yee loudly said "Does it even matter? Even if Bit Man were to throw away the entire fortune, he is at least the rightful heir! It is his right to the fortune, he can damn well inherit it and do whatever he wants!"

Harsh! But she has a point, since Fung Yee is ready to have no money, allowance, food, business, house...

Bo Kei angrily said "If Hing Fung Nin is a restaurant or some shop, I will not even bother but our business is providing rice to the people and Hing Fung Nin is the biggest rice merchant here. I will not let you mess with that because only the people will suffer! Do remember I precede you. I am supposed to be the first wife, not you, so don't play games with me"

Bo Kei, the stupidest thing you have done was not to enter this household as equal first wife!! See! Now all these mess!

Fung Yee looked at her with laser death stare and said smilingly "My son is the rightful heir and I will make sure he gets his due. 4th sister, we shall see! We shall see!" and she laughed as she walked out of the room and Bo Kei looked into the space, looking either angry or worried or both.

Next episode, Bo Kei suggested something about the busines about to be hit badly by locusts and of course Fung Yee said NO WAY JOSE!

So now the real right begins. Fung Yee has moved and now Bo Kei must protect.

But how stupid isn't it? If Cheung Kiu is dead then yes Fung Yee should go all out and do all evil stuff, like framing people and running down the business to force Bo Kei out. BUT Cheung Kiu is still alive and may wake up and so if Cheung Kiu does wake up wouldn't he restore order and kick Fung Yee and Bit Man out? This is one part of the plot that I don't understand. What exactly is Fung Yee's masterplan? How does it even work to their advantage? I just see such bad planning. At least pretend to get on BO Kei's side and then when Cheung Kiu dies, well then just go all out! What a stupid plot.

And I hate how everybody just leaves conveniently. This is like the write suddenly came to a snag; Chai Gau is saved, Ching is working hard, Fong is braver, swindler mother-child are nice people again, so where do we go from here? Oh yeah, have everybody leaving and have Bo Kei defending herself all alone! WHAT?! Why? Things were going well. I can understand Chai Gau leaving, it was for the best but Ching too? And how Fong cried "You've all change" and I was thinking they didn't change, that's them!

After the high of episode 10, this episode just made everything crashing down hard. Perhaps the write realises Fung Yee has nothing to do so let her unleash her evilness now but at least do it in a more logical way. So now have to wait Cheung Kiu to wake up and restore order or just die and then total chaos! Poor Bo Kei, for all she has done as a strong woman she is, the only solution to her problem seems dependent on a man lying in coma! Disgusting! She can solve the problems herself, like what she did for Chai Gau. Bo Kei without Chai Gau is like a twin losing the other twin. Can't do! I hope Chai Gau returns angry, hungry and really pissed off. I hated the low self esteem Chai Gau.

As for performances, however much I dislike Lau Fong, Kara Wai did an amazing job in the way she begged and cried and begged. Very realistic and absolutely amazing performance.

Ron Ng is Ron Ng. What more can I say?

Sheren Teng was wonderful and I like how she played Bo Kei as one straightforward woman. Her scene with Susan Tse was really good but it was the earlier scene where she led wayne's Chai Gau out of the crowd that was the best. Her eyes registered fear even if her face hid that well. Amazing performance. And poor Bo Kei! Now all alone!

Wayne Lai is also great, in the earlier scene his fear all was there and later scenes of low self esteem, all very well done.

Everyone else is good, however I think the character of Pang Kiu is reaching the end of her usefulness. Her job is to just cause trouble, be stupid and bully everyone. I don't see her purpose. And her whole talk about protecting her children and all, well doesn't she realise if Bit Man got the fortune, her Bit Mo will be left with nothing at all? Kiki Sheung did great but the character this time failed the actress.

Pierre Ngo is also wonderful and I feel like slapping him, however I feel he is so underused in several episodes now. The entire series right up until now is dominated by Sheren Teng, Wayne Lai and then some by Ron Ng and even Kara Wai. The rest are like sidekicks.

Susan Tse, even if I just can't understand her Fung Yee's masterplan, her last scene with Sheren Teng was amazing. Great acting by Sheren and some good acting by Susan Tse, the way all the facade was dropped and the way she said her lines, that scene to me is the best. If someone is willing for her entire fortune to be thrown away what more can people say eh? However Fung Yee is really dumb. I wouldn't say Susan Tse was amazing though. I just feel she is rather inconsistent in that scene itself, one moment fearful, in another all out nasty. At least there is something for her to do. I was beginning to feel Fung Yee is a piece of furniture in this series!

But still, what the heck is Fung Yee's master plan all about??

And when oh when will the saviour awaken? I am kinda sick with the whole 3 stooges and their dog doing damage with Bo Kei doing damage control. I'd rather see Bo Kei solving dilemmas with the business than trying to beat these 3 rabid dogs and their well dog away!

Ok, favourite line...only a mother can utter such a line...

"Does it even matter? Even if Bit Man were to throw away the entire fortune, he is at least the rightful heir! It is his right to the fortune, he can damn well inherit it and do whatever he wants!"

- Fung Yee to Bo Kei

1 comments:

  1. Hi there Funn,
    Just to say, I really enjoy your episode thoughts, as they are not only insightful but wise and I really admore your dare to be different views with other people. Nevertheless, I believe that the plot wasnt stupid as Fung Yee did say to the 2nd wife that she's 'no longer expected her husband (Cheung Kiu) to wake up anymore'. This quote alone from Fung Yee also registers to us that she doesn't believe Cheung Kiu will wake up from the coma so in other words his dead. This may justify may she is starting to plot sinister plans on others even though there's a chance the husband might wake up. Yes she may be a stupid character but I don't think overall that this series is stupid. Anyway, great job for your episode thoughts!

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments for this particular episode. I really appreciate your comments as well as any addition, trivias and of course correction to any mistake in my recap. If you're posting spoilers, please avoid MAJOR SPOILERS whilst minor spoilers please do write SPOILERS before posting. Bookmark this post as there may be replies. Thanks!