twitter



Written by Funn Lim


What more can I say? Bit Man is really stupid. And Safe Guards has a better story but Rosy Business thus far is very dramatic and exciting. These 2 can be mutually exclusive.

Recap...

The doctor said Bit Man will be bed ridden either for 2 months or 2 weeks, I didn't hear that. I think 2 months may be it, since you know, he could hardly stand. He blamed everyone but himself, he said "Mother I don't want this father! I am not gonna take the medicine! I don't have such a heartless father! And that woman, if only she helped me, if only she says it was Pang Hang who kidnapped me and asked for ransom!" and Fung Yee perhaps being her true self here said with tears "Bit Man, you can rise again! Your father will forgive you! You must heal your wounds! Then we will plan but now drink, drink the medicine!" and so he did. The dog was there looking on.

Well, let's all blame Bo Kei! But they just conveniently forgot how Bo Kei rushed to raise the money or how she told Bit Man to shut up.

Fung Yee went to see Cheung Kiu and asked Bo Kei to leave the room. Once alone with Cheung Kiu, Fung Yee basically cried and begged sort of nagged her way to make Cheung Kiu drink the tea she said represented Bit Man's offering of tea of apologies and he was nagged to drink it and he said curtly "I know what to do!". So Fung Yee got her way. On her way out she gave Bo Kei the death stare, again blame Bo Kei for everything whilst Bo Kei looked back, unsure how to react. Fear? Frustration? Like she can't believe FUng Yee can have that reaction?

Pause here. Safe Guard Sameness here. As Fung Yee begged and cried, Cheung Kiu closed his eyes, tired, older, probably not listening. It reminded me of that infuriating scene of Ben Wong begging a bed ridden and old and tired Kok Fung who just closed his eyes and a single tear flowed down his pale cheeks. Again Safe Guards did it better in the sense it was the prodigal son who was begging and a disappointed father who refused to listen any more to his crap. Here Fung Yee isn't exactly that.

Bo Kei walked in and Cheung Kiu said he wanted to see Pang Kiu. So he went to Kiu and straight away asked "Why did you do it? Why did you chase Fong out and frame Auntie Hing and helped Bit Man to revolt for the keys?" and Kiu said "Did that woman told you?" and Cheung Kiu said "Neither Bo Kei nor Bit Ching said anything. I demanded answers from the servants, they told me everything. Why Kiu? WHY? I have treated all 4 of you fairly, I loved you all fairly, why you could take Fung Yee's side and hurt me so? Fung Yee I understand. She is in her 50s, has only one son and will do everything for her son to secure her position. But Kiu, Bit Mo is studious and will be a scholar and a government official. There is nothing for you to fight for on behalf of Mo! Why?!" and Kiu released her anger and said "Because I was fighting for myself. Because I was your talisman to ward off my brother!" and Cheung Kiu taken aback said "What are you saying?" and Kiu cried "Didn't you marry me because you were forced to? Didn't you say better to marry a talisman to ward off an evil entity? Didn't you demanded for discount on the transportation fees?" and Cheung Kiu said "It was so long ago, I can't even remember!" and Kiu said "I was very touched when I read your diary, about how you got the doctor during the last locusts attack, how you said to save me instead of Mo, I was very touched but I can't forget you married me because I was a talisman to you!" and Cheung Kiu said "Kiu, do you really think after so many years of marriage that I have no feeling for you?" and Kiu said "I don't know what to think. I just know I was your talisman. One more thing; I am following Mo to the capital for his scholar exams, to get away from here for awhile" and Cheung Kiu said "He has teachers following him, this is a good time for you to stay and repair the relationships between sisters" but Kiu said "Am I really your wife? I have to leave. I need time to think about my role in this family, who am I to you" and she walked out leaving Cheung Kiu exasperated.

Meanwhile, Hoi Tong was washing Pang Hang's feet when Pang Hang kicked her and scolded "I want you out on the streets! I want you to be a beggar! Get out!!" and Hoi Tong was thrown out crying and begging for mercy.

Bit Man was eating porridge with Fung Yee helping him when the dog said Hoi Tong was outside, wanting to see Bit Man who again blamed everyone else when he said "What is she doing here? Hasn't she caused me enough trouble as it is?" and Fung Yee said "Uncle Cheung Fatt, tell her to not bother Bit Man anymore. If anything tell her to beg Chai Gau for help!" and Bit Man asked "Mother, what does Chai Gau got to do with this?" and Fung Yee said "It was Chai Gau who wrote 4 anonymous letters to Pang Hang" and Bit Man was of course naturally very very angry. Uncle Cheung Fatt told Hoi Tong the same.

Hoi Tong ambushed Chai Gau and beat Chai Gau who roughly pushed her away. It was quite funny actually as Hoi Tong cried "How can you do this to me? What have I done to deserve this? Why did you tell Master Hang? Why did you hurt me so?!" and she seems to forget a lot of things eh? Chai Gau angrily said "What?! Have you forgotten about me almost turned into a roasted pig thanks to you and your lover boy? Now you blame me? Your current predicament is nobody's fault but your own! You're worse off because of your own undoing! Don't you blame me!" and he walked into his shack as Hoi Tong wanted to hit him more.

Pause here. Don't being 3rd Manager come with good housing benefit? That is a shack!!

Chai Gau met with his sworn brothers and No. 2 gave him lots of money and said "Chai Gau Gor, you're the brains of our group. We want to earn more legitimate money. Can you teach us how since we have some to invest?" and Chai Gau smiled and said "Well I will think about it".

At Hing Fung Nin, he pestered Bo Kei liked a child pestering his mother as he asked "4th Madam, maybe we have a different strategy for transportation? My sworn brothers are ready to take on more responsibilities and they are willing to borrow and invest in some new ships for transportation by sea! Look, we can save a lot for the company!" but Bo Kei said "That can't be done" but Chai Gau persisted "4th Madam, how many more decades does one have? Seize the chance!" but Bo Kei told him to forget about it and yet Chai Gau pestered her and finally she said "Do you know what you're suggesting? You are cutting Pang Hang's rice bowl. I am afraid even if you could implement this plan, you will not be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour! So don't dare to do anything rash!" but Chai Gau of course didn't think that way.

Pause here.

What Bo Kei meant is actually Chai Gau won't live to see the day if he implemented the idea as surely Pang Hang will kill him.

Later that night he was again ambushed by Hoi Tong outside his shack but this time Hoi Tong looked dirty and unkept and was more humble. Again a very funny scene as Chai Gau kept telling her to stand further away as she slowly approached him and pleaded "Chai Gau Gor, please help me! No one will help me!" and Chai Gau said "You can find work! Find a job to support yourself!" and she said "No one will hire me because of Master Hang! Chai Gau Gor, I just need $10 to go home to my village. Since we are from the same village, Chai Gau Gor, pity me and lend me $10? I just want to go home!" and Chai Gau said "Who is at your village?" and she cried "Just my mother. I was once married before, but he died in the great flood and I had to come to the city to work and this was when I met Master Hang" and Chai Gau said "That great flood? I remember I had to eat roots and leaves for entire 6 months" and he took out some money and said "Here is $20, take it" and she gratefully took it and cried thank you and ran. Chai Gau does have a soft heart. Anyway he walked into his shack, slept on bed and felt something wet and it was blood and there was some carcass on his bed ala The Godfather and he saw a note and it was Pang Hang's message, can't remember what.

Chia Gau angrily went to see Pang Hang at some restaurant filled with his men with only a small knife. Very brave and incredibly stupid. Chai Gau said "Master Hang, what did I do now to earn your displeasure?" and Pang Hang said "Didn't I say no one can assist that whore? I wanted her to become a beggar and you assisted her! Grab him, cut him into 18 pieces and throw him into the river!"

Pause here.

PLOT PROBLEM!! MAJOR PLOT HOLE! How did he know when just shortly afterwards between money and bed was like seconds? He wouldn't have time to find out!! Ah ha! TVB you SCREWED UP!!!

Continue...

Chai Gau arrogantly said "You said so yourself Master Hang, she is a beggar and so I was just giving money to a beggar since I have extra cash. Can't I do that? Moreover my life may worth very little but yours worth more Master Hang. Surely you wouldn't think my life is worth the troubles 4th Madam will cause you? Remember she has sworn if anything bad happened to me she will spend the rest of her life bringing you to justice!" and he threw down the small knife about to leave but Pang Hang said "What about explaining to my men what your brothers are doing, planning to buy ships and all?" and Chai Gau was very quiet and then he said "What are you talking about?" and Pang Hang roared "Don't you lie to me! They were asking about the prices of ships!" and Chai Gau said "Like you said, they were just asking! They weren't doing anything!" but Pang Hang refused to let him leave and the men grabbed Chai Gau and Pang Hang sneered "You will swear that you will not execute nor plan the business strategy of transportation by ships!" but Chai Gau refused and said "Master Hang you don't scare me anymore!" and he was pushed to kneel down as Pang Hang pointed a pistol at his head and Chai Gau said "I am not afraid. I have seen a pistol before, you don't scare me!" and Pang Hang fired one shot into the air and of course Chai Gau immeidately fell into pieces as he shook, spluttered and became very scared and said "Master Hang, I can swear! I can swear! I will not execute or plan the business strategy" and Pang Hang said "You will also not talk or think about it" and he said "Or talk or think about it or may thunder strike me!" and Chai Gau was allowed to leave but he was pushed and he tumbled down the stairs.

In the morning he was boiling some medicine, his body sore and in pain as Bo Kei saw him and said "I was wondering who was boiling medicine" and Chai Gau said "Oh 4th Madam, I just accidentally fell, no big trouble" as he smiled and Bo Kei asked "Are you sure?" and he said "Oh yes, sure!" and Bo Kei said "About that transportation by sea plan.." and Chai Gau immediately said "No no 4th Madam, I swear I will not act rashly. I am not going to plan or execute it! I told them to forget about it! I will not also think about it!" but Bo Kei said quietly "Chai Gau, you can surely think about it. The time is not ripe yet but do think about that plan" and Chai Gau looked at her, getting her meaning.

Bo Kei, very smart but how to execute? Pang Hang like some gangsters! No worries, solution is in this episode itself and it is brilliant.

Meanwhile Cheung Kiu told everyone he wants to go and get Fong to come back and asked Bo Kei to go like some honeymoon and also Ah Man to assist. Kiu wasn't happy since she wasn't asked and so she left the dinner table and Cheung Kiu said "Let her be!". Bit Ching later begged to go along but Cheung Kiu said "Chai Gau is still green! You must stay to take care of the business with him" and however he pleaded also he couldn't get Cheung Kiu to agree. Cheung Kiu said "What a fillial son, couldn't even wait to reunite with his mother" and Bo Kei smiled and said "Not really that, but rather he couldn't bear to be separated from one person" and Bo Kei took him to see Ah Man scolding Bit Ching for not begging hard enough and Cheung Kiu whispered "How you knew?" and Bo Kei said "I saw them in the market, Bit Ching was holding a chicken in one hand and some vegetables in the other and Ah Man was eating sweets and she was eating one and then feeding Bit Ching one" and Cheung Kiu cleared his throat and Ah Man quickly left and he said "Ching, your 4th mother has decided to stay back so you can follow me. Thank you 4th mother for this opportunity!" and Bit Ching looked at Bo kei sheepishly.

Pause here.

When did they started? And why is Ah Man such a bossy girlfriend? What is more important? Going travelling or the business? I like her less now. I hate how henpeck Bit Ching already is.

Meanwhile everytime Bit Man passes Cheung Kiu, Cheung Kiu ignored him. Yeah!

At dinner suddenly the Lord Prince arrived and they all went to greet him. Lord prince said he was retiring to the same town and was gonna hold a meeting with the rice merchants and even asked the managers to be there and Cheung Kiu agreed.

What follows next is of course pure brilliance and rather convenient but hey, life can sometimes be so convenient! It is about taking opportunities!

It was meeting time, even Pang Hang was there and the Lord Prince said "I heard about the locusts disaster here and I was cracking my head trying to figure out how much funding and men and supplies to send here to aid the people but credit to you all for solving the problem without using a single penny of the empire! I congratulate you for that! However I notice as I walked along that the disaster may be averted but the price of the rice is at $15 per pound (just an estimation, didn't hear the actualy weight)! That is too expensive! How come the rice is so expensive? How can we solve this problem? How can we cut the cost and bring the price down? Any suggestion anyone?" and everyone looked reluctant to speak and Bo Kei signalled to Chai Gau and Chai Gau stood up and said "My Lord, I am Chai Gau, the 3rd Manager of Hing Fung Nin. I have a humble suggestion" and the prince eager to hear said "Proceed" and Chai Gau said "My Lord, the price of the rice may be high, but we actually profit very little" and prince asked "How can that be?" and Chai Gau said "It may be $15, but we only profit $5. $10 is used to pay the transportation by sea" and Pang Hang looked angry and the prince was angry and shouted "Ridiculous! How can the fee be so high?" and Bo Kei I think was the one who said "That is because the transportation by sea is monopolised by one agent" and Chai Gau or Bo Kei said "The solution is to appoint another agent to break the monopoly" and the prince said "That is a great idea!" but Chai Gau said "However we can't do that My Lord" and he asked "WHY? Who is that agent?" and Chai Gau said "Truth is we can't even plan or implement it, we can't talk about it or even THINK about it, because the consequence is death!" and the prince was very angry as Bo Kei hit the nail by saying "The monopoly concerns thousands of rice bowls my lord, therefore we are unable to break that" as Bo kei looked at Pang Hang and the prince looked over and knew who she was referring to. He then said loudly "Then that is simple. (calling on his assistant) pronounce an edict that whoever dares monopolises the transportation by sea and cause a revolt, the empire will send in 30000 (or was it 3000? Anyway large number) of guards to squash the rioters and you have my order to kill them all!" and Pang Hang swallowed his saliva hard as he heard that (VERY VERY FUNNY SCENE!!) and Chai Gau clapped and said "Brilliant solution My lord! Brilliant!" and everybody clapped and smiled happily.

Problem solved.

Chai Gau told Bo Kei he was gonna go with his brothers for a few days and discuss about the new business and Bo Kei allowed him and he loudly said "4th Madam, how many more decades does one have? Seize the day 4th Madam, seize the day!!" as he happily laughed with Bo Kei laughing as well happy that one problem is solved.

Cheung Kiu then went to take Fong home and at night before they leave he said to her "Fong, my health may look like it is improving but I may die anytime. You must learn to be courageous and to speak up, protect yourself and Bit Ching. I worry for Bit Ching if I were to leave him the business. What if I am no longer here? Don't be bullied into a corner, fight back" which was interesting to hear from Cheung Kiu. Fong said "Husband, you know I hate fights. I am happy here. I am happy with nothing, don't worry about me"

They went home and again Bit Man greeted Cheung Kiu who ignored him. Dinner with everybody BUT Bit Man and Fung Yee faked niceness and greeted Fong and Kiu reluctantly did so. Cheung Kiu said "You know Kiu, Fong has such a short memory, she said she can't even remember why she left in the first place. I hope with fresh memories all the past unhappiness is wiped away and let us all start again, all 4 sisters living in harmony under one roof. Shall we be so, Kiu?" but Kiu said "I can't forget. I don't think I have a place in this household. I am leaving with Mo". Not sure what happens next, let's just say Cheung Kiu was fed up with her attitude.


Bo kei met with Pang Kiu to give a gift of ink stone to Mo and Kiu accepted on Mo's behalf. Then Bo Kei said "Sister, please don't leave. Husband may leave anytime soon, I think we all 4 wives should stay by his side" and Kiu sadly said "Husband needs only one wife by his side and that is you. I am a nobody" and Bo kei said "How can you say that? Husband cares about you" but Kiu said "When you first entered into this family I hated you. You had husband all by yourself and I had nothing. And then you had to save Mo, and I am forever indebted to you. I am a straightforward honest person, I say whatever I feel should be said without restraint. You're a brave person, doing what's right without caring much of the consequences. In another circumstances we would have been great friends and sisters but unfortunately we are married to the same man so that makes our friendship impossible" and Bo Kei pleaded "But promise me 4th sister, once Mo has taken his exam, you must come home to us. You are still apart of this family" but Kiu sadly said "I am no longer sure I am anymore" and Bo Kei looked on frustrated that the family is about to break apart.

Bo Kei, it has already broken apart!

Almost last scene, Bit Man waited for some men by the pier, sinister looking men and threw a water bottle into the river. They picked it up and inside was an instruction; "Meet me at the restaurant. I will pat one man on the shoulder 3 times. That man will be your target".

Last scene, Chai Gau and his brothers having a meet up at the group's mansion, everybody thanked Chai Gau for teaching them how to expand the business and gave him a $2000 ang pow as well as promising him a share in the profit as thanks. Chai Gau was a very very happy man.

Next episode, Chai Gau was kidnapped by 3 men who stabbed him and left him for dead as Bo Kei sensed something wasn't right and was in a state of panic!

Insane!! How will Chai Gau survive this?!

I don't know why but I really pity Hoi Tong. And I have never quite commented about Nancy Wu's performance and so I think I will talk a bit about that. I never liked her in the past as I find all her performances were varying degrees of arrogance as she can death stare someone to death. But in Rosy Business, she plays a flirtatious and foolish girl who became desperate. I find her scenes with Wayne Lai very funny and sometimes infuriating and today rather funny and sad at the same time. I think they share this wonderful chemistry and I love seeing how he reacted to her and how she reacted to him. I am happy to see her giving more in her performance, rather than giving someone that bored stare or arrogant stare, there is more than that to her. I find her performance improved a lot and whilst she has some way to do, I think I am warming to her in this series. Somehow I just pity Hoi Tong since she is really not malicious, just incredibly foolish and stupid. But you blame all that to youth and inexperience. By the way she suffers from overmakeup all the time.

As for Pang Kiu, she really has nothing to do. I understand her pain and her dilemma but enough with the "I am a ghost repelling talisman" or "Who am I in this household" nonsense. She doesn't appreciate her family and I was hoping she would help Bo Kei but in the end I guess it is more realistic that she hates Bo Kei and yet can't help but feel indebted to her. She doesn't like Bo Kei, that's for sure. Poor Kiki Sheung, this character is really one mindset from episode 1.

Elliot Yue did well but you know compared to Kok Fung, Kok Fung kicks ass in the scenes where he was utterly disappointed with his prodigal son and how he ignored him. But Elliot Yue did looked older.. when will Cheung Kiu die I wonder? He is like having this amazing lifespan like Chai Gau's super amazing adopted grandmother whom I have termed Kawaii!! I hope I get to see her again. Awful actress BUT super kawaii nonetheless. I am a fan!!

I also like the relationship between Chai Gau and Bo Kei, now more like big sister and little brother, at times mother and son but never lovers, never mistake that. How Chai Gau pestered her and how Bo Kei feel concern for him, very heart warming and funny at the same time. What a team and great chemistry between Wayne Lai and Sheren Teng who is giving possibly her best performance in her career (nope! War & Beauty ain't her best). But to see them as lovers is difficult...

Bit Ching and Ah Man's love affair is expected but I hate how bossy Ah Man is and how henpeck Bit Ching is. I know love, sarang, ai, cinta, ngoi, whatever. But I like to see a manlier Bit Ching. And Ron Ng and the actress shares zero chemistry. Whatever playfulness on her side doesn't seem to bounce out well with Ron Ng. Ron Ng has so far gone through so many crisis and episodes with one singular expression. And terrible body posture!

I haven't checked his name yet and I can't remember his name but the actor who plays Pang Hang deserves applause and kudos for excellence! I hate his Pang Hang and yet can't help but laugh whenever I see him. If he is a villain, he is the comic villain.

Pierre Ngo, wonderful as the useless son but can't Bit Man be redeemed? Is he that hopeless?

Susan Tse, I am beginning to doubt her acting prowess. She belongs to old school or rather very old school like the 50s sort of acting. Not bad at that time but kinda OTT for today's standard. Moreover I think Fung Yee's character has stopped development and is now stuck in one mode that is scheming mode and even when scheming can't do it right. Interesting Cheung Kiu understood her position though.

A shoutout for Kok Fung who was excellent as the matriach in Safe Guards and is also excellent in here as the Lord Prince! Love him! and Love that scene!

Everybody else is a-ok.

SAFEGUARD SAMENESS
Same same same, only at different times but same same same. My sis said Rosy Business is better but I said Safe Guards is more coherent, logically consistent and performances way better because each character has a role to play. Rosy Business already has 2 characters with nothing to do and is dominated by 2 characters. Safe Guards is fairer to the characters and the dialogue more hard hitting and more realistic but Rosy Business at this point is of course bigger dilemmas, bigger crisis and bigger problems but the solution at the end of the day is similar to Safe Guards. And so .. CHEUNG KIU!! WRITE A WILL!!!

Do watch Safe Guards. A classic in my opinion.

Favourite line ...

"Truth is we can't even plan or implement it, we can't talk about it or even THINK about it, because the consequence is death!"

- Chai Gau to Lord Prince

4 comments:

  1. There is something not right here. In the first episode, when the guards were looking for Boi Kei, they describe a woman of about late 30's to 40 years old. They were all around the same age when they were young. How come Fung Yee is now 50+ and Bo Kei was 10 years (or more) younger? You can't say Fung Yee married late, because marriage are arranged by parents those days and people married young then. Young Fung Yee couldn't be late 20s and still not yet married.

  1. I remember at the start she should be in late 30s or 40s which was why I speculated her age in the flashbacks as 16 or probably 15 and Cheung Kiu much older maybe at 20 and above.

    Yes there is a slight inconsistency since Fung Yee can't be at least 5 years older than Cheung Kiu and Cheung Kiu was celebrating his "dai sau" that even if held earlier can be earlier than 60 years of age. I won't assume a decade has passed in the series since Bit Mo is still young but definitely a few years have passed, maybe 3 or 4 years?

    There is an inconsistency but Fung Yee may be not much younger than Cheung Kiu whilst Bo Kei may be much younger than Fung Yee by perhaps a decade. Fung Yee can be the same age as Cheung Kiu actually, I just assume dai sau means min 60 years of age.

    Let's just assume 5 years has passed from first scene to now. Assume that. Bo Kei at the start was touching 40 and Fung Yee being older was perhaps mid or late 40s, so at least 5 years older. Chueng Kiu being much older, assuming at least 8 years older (can still be pretty close in age when children) would now be 53 or 54 and Fung Yee 51?

    It is possible that Fung Yee did indeed married late. I want to see flashbacks of Cheung Kiu mourning for Bo Kei and that should take him a good few years to mourn. Perhaps Fung Yee waited for him to marry her in the end.

    It is possible. After all we never know how much time has actually passed but it could be years, can't be months because Cheung Kiu's coma itself was months.

  1. I did specifically hear Fung Yee a woman in her 50s with only one son, that was what Cheung Kiu said.

  1. Hmm. You are right. It might be some years have passed and Bo Kei is around 45 and Fung Yee 51 now. That is more plausible.

    Haha. And Chai Gau/Bo Kei. They way you describe their relationship really is like mother and son especially the part you said Chai Gau keep pestering Bo Kei. Bo Kei is like an ever wise mother/teacher who is keep Chai Gau in reign and teaching him patiently. Very unusual relationship for lead couple.

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments for this particular episode. I really appreciate your comments as well as any addition, trivias and of course correction to any mistake in my recap. If you're posting spoilers, please avoid MAJOR SPOILERS whilst minor spoilers please do write SPOILERS before posting. Bookmark this post as there may be replies. Thanks!